What is SPAM?
Spam is any email you send to someone who hasn’t given you their direct permission to contact them on the topic of the email.
When you send an email to someone you don't know, that's an "unsolicited" email. Sending one unsolicited message to someone is obviously not spam. But when you send an unsolicited email to an entire list of people you don't know, that's spam.
What kind of email addresses are OK to send to with MailerSoft?
To send email to anyone, you need to have their permission. This could be done through:
- An email newsletter subscribe form on your web site.
- An opt-in checkbox on a form. This checkbox must not be checked by default, the person completing the form must willingly select the checkbox to indicate they want to hear from you.
- If someone completes an offline form like a survey or enters a competition, you can only contact them if it was explained to them that they would be contacted by email AND they ticked a box indicating they would like to be contacted.
- Customers who have purchased from you within the last 2 years.
What kind of email address ARE NOT OK to send to with MailerSoft?
You can't import or send to any email address which:
- You do not have explicit, provable permission to contact in relation to the topic of the email you’re sending.
- You bought, loaned, rented or in any way acquired from a third party, no matter what they claim about quality or permission. You need to obtain permission yourself.
- You haven’t contacted them via email in the last 2 years. Permission doesn’t age well and these people have either changed email address or won’t remember giving their permission in the first place.
- You scraped or copy and pasted from the web. Just because people publish their email address doesn’t mean they want to hear from you.
What content MUST I include in my email?
Every email you send using MailerSoft must include a single-click unsubscribe link that instantly removes the subscriber from your list. Once they unsubscribe, you can never email them again.